Goodness, this poor boy! Let me give a little background history.
His first sickness was in June 2010 (he was 4 months old). He had RSV, pneumonia and an ear infection. He was put on antibiotics.
8.4.10-sick again, no anitbiotics.
10.5.10-RSV and double ear infection. Antibiotic given.
10.22.10-Ear infection. Antibiotic given.
11.3.10-Ear infection. Antibiotic given.
1.3.11-Ear infection. 5/7 day antibiotic given.
1.17.11-Ear infection. 14 day antibiotic given.
2.2.11-Ear infection.
On Tuesday, 2.1.11, he just wasn't convincing me that the ear infection was gone, even though he finished his antibiotic the day before. I called and made him an appt for Thursday (2.3.11) just to have his ears checked to be certain. Well, the mommy instinct is spot on. He woke the next morning (2.2.11) with a fever, ranging from 101-102*. He was seen by the doctor on 2.2.11 which he did in face STILL have an ear infection. So, 21 days of antibiotics didn't fix him. How sad :( This mama is done with antibiotics. It just can't be good for him. Soo, our next, and final, step before being referred to an ENT for possiblity of tubes, is to get a shot of anitbiotic in his upper leg 3 days in a row. Don't ask me the name, I couldn't tell you. But for 3 days straight we will go to the doc and get this shot. It's sad, it hurts him so much, even though they attempt to numb it before hand. Today was day 2. Is he still messing with his ears, you ask? YEP. Some days I think it's just 'normal', and maybe he doesn't have an infection, he's just so used to messing with his ears that's all he knows. Tomorrow will tell the real deal. We will go back for his 3rd shot and see the doctor for a check. If he still has an ear infection, we will be referred to an ENT. If he doesn't.... then, we'll wait and see if/when it returns. (I think this is the plan. It's a lot of info to take in... alone at the doctor with 3 kids).Anyways, that's where we stand. I just pray he feels better and they DON'T return. Not only do I want him to feel better, I want them to stay gone. If that's not the case and he needs tubes, I want it to be a quick, painfree procedure that will help him return to a healthy little guy. I must say, he handles them SO well. You wouldn't be able to tell, unless he has a fever. He's just chilled back and continues to play (again, unless fever is present, in that case he just wants his mommy to hold him!). He's such a sweet boy and we are so blessed to have him as our son. I can't believe he's about to be 1, either! Where does the time go!?
Here is a picture of him and his crazy sister at the doc this morning waiting on his shot!


**Update on 2.4.11
Well, after 3 days of shot antibiotics he's better. Not 100% healed, but definitely better. The fever went away early Thursday morning. At today's check up, one ear was clear, the other was about 80%. So on the way to healing. I said I was done with antibiotics, but I truly trust my pediatrician. I think she's the best. With that said, we're on 7 more days of antibiotics. And I promise this is the last time for this, lol. Anyways, once he finishes these, it will be time for his 1 year well check, and obviously a good look at his ears. If a ear infection returns (within 3 months I think she said), then he will be referred to an ENT. We shall see. I pray that we kicked this ear infection for good. :)
1 year ago
2 comments:
Poor guy!!!!! But seriously, if it comes down to getting tubes, it really is a painless and quick procedure and does wonders!! Speaking from experience :)
wow, ash, sounds awful. so sorry for him and you :( I'll pray for healing on his sweet little body! :)
Post a Comment